Rodger Roeser, president of Cincinnati’s The Eisen Agency, spoke to a packed PRSSA Kent meeting Wednesday evening.
Roeser emphasized students should love what they do and be fully prepared for the job market upon graduation.
Roeser offered plenty of tips for students searching for a job or internship:
· Start a blog (Try Wordpress)
· Create business cards
· Tailor resume to each opportunity
· Create a LinkedIn account (So professionals can find you easily)
· Start an online portfolio (Try Weebly or Wix)
· Dress appropriately for interviews
· Networking: Roger emphasized building relationships with professionals in the industry.
“What makes you want to get up in the morning?” Roeser asked. “Figure out what it is that you want to be and go after it.”
A Kent State graduate, Roeser is fiercely proud of his alma mater and the public relations program.
“Anybody who says that public relations takes a second seat to anything is lying to you,” he said.
The next PRSSA Kent meeting is October 17, with Professor Evan Bailey speaking about PR in the music industry.