Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Belonging at Kent State
The Kent State Public Relations Student Society of America Chapter (PRSSA Kent) recognizes and values the importance of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. PRSSA Kent is passionate about creating a diverse and inclusive environment for our members. We do this through diverse programming, leadership and representation.
We value the views and beliefs from all backgrounds including but not limited to, race, age, gender identity, gender expression, physical and mental ability, religion, socioeconomic status and many other diverse factors. We will continue to strive to create a culture of inclusivity through representation, advocacy, and education.
PRSSA Kent recognizes the need to listen to and incorporate the voices of marginalized groups. We want to create a welcoming environment for all students to feel comfortable to engage in the PRSSA community.
PRSSA Kent has chosen to add “belonging” to the DE&I mission because it works in tandem with our other values. While diversity and inclusion strategies focus on bringing together marginalized groups for their voices to be heard, belonging is the emotional outcome when people feel safe and valued enough to be their authentic self.
The College of Communication and Information has also decided to adopt “Belonging” to DEI because it’s important for students to not only have a seat at the table but to also feel heard, valued, and respected so that all students will feel a part of the CCI community.
As future public relations professionals, storytellers, and change agents, we have a voice and will use our voice to advocate and support those in marginalized communities as well as to educate within our own communities.
Each semester we strive to create programs, workshops, events, and activities to educate future communicators in diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. Some past DEI&B conversions and programs include:
Podcast from DEI&B panel discussion about promoting diversity in the workplace. This panel discussion featuredDEI&B representatives at Kent State,, JOANN, FedEx Custom Critical, Marcus Thomas and Major League Baseball.
Social Media Perspective Workshop
DEI&B Resources - Kent State Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (https://www.kent.edu/diversity) This Kent State Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is motivated to create a safe, diverse, and inclusive community at Kent State University through strategic initiatives, programs and training.
- Kent State College of Communication and Information (https://www.kent.edu/cci/diversity)CCI Diversity works to make sure it has a culture of DEI&B for faculty, staff and students by providing support, education and resources.
- Kent State School of Media and Journalism (https://www.kent.edu/mdj/annual-events)The School of Media and Journalism collaborates with CCi and the University to strengthen its commitment to create a welcoming environment.
- National PRSA (https://voices4everyone.prsa.org/) PRSA’s Voices4Everyone is a forum for the public relations community to tackle issues in civility, ethical behavior, and best practices to encourage a national civil discourse.
- Akron Area PRSA Chapter (https://prsaakron.org/) The Akron Area Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America serves a diverse group of corporate, agency, media, healthcare, academic, and non-profit professionals and provides value to its members through numerous events and networking opportunities throughout the year.
- Greater Cleveland PRSA Chapter (http://www.prsacleveland.org/) The Greater Cleveland Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America serves a collection of public relations, communication and marketing practitioners and provides value to its members through numerous events and networking opportunities throughout the year.
- Kent State Women’s Center https://www.kent.edu/womenscenter The Kent State Women’s Center aids students, faculty, and staff members through referral programs, information and education about women, gender, and diversity.
- PRSA Diversity & Inclusion https://www.prsa.org/about/diversity-inclusion The Diversity & Inclusion committee is dedicated to providing public relations practitioners with best practices and resources for marginalized groups and cultures.